The "Rule of 6"
According to Paul Simon there are "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover". You remember, "Slip out the back, Jack…Make a new plan, Stan…"! Now if I were to add a 51st way, it would be "Get into your Dart, Bart". I'm not sure why Simon's lyrics popped up in my head as I sat down to write this review? Maybe it has something to do with the Dart's sleek, stealthy profile or maybe its quick-off-the-mark 2.4 L 16- valve Tigershark four-cylinder MultiAir (6-speed) engine? Anyway, in keeping with the theme of putting things in lists, I'm going to offer you the "Rule of 6" or 6 reasons why the 2014 Dodge Dart Limited might be the right vehicle for you.
- World-Class Design: When my wife first got a look at the Dodge Dart (Limited) in our driveway she automatically assumed it was a vehicle in the luxury car segment. Admittedly, she's not the most automobile-savy princess in my harem; but, nevertheless she has a keen eye for aesthetically pleasing things and this re-vamped iteration of the Dodge Dart is most definitely easy on the eyes. You have to especially love that curvy front end! No harsh geometric lines here, just poetic contours.
- Class-Exclusive 7-inch customizable in-cluster Display (with UConnect Multimedia Centre): The 2014 Dodge Dart is the most technologically advanced car in its class. The 8.4" touch-screen installed on the dash of the model I was given to drive was absolutely brilliant. I have never encountered an electronic console so large in a mid-size sedan. In fact, the whole layout of the instrument cluster has the feel of an aviator's cockpit with a well-organized cluster of controls at the pilot's - oops, driver's fingertips.
- Performance & Efficiency: With one of the most powerful engines in its class (2.4L Tigershark 1-4 with MultiAir operating at 184hp) this is one zippy ride. Not only is it zippy, but the MultiAir electro-hydraulic valve-timing system makes it incredibly economical as well. Would you believe mileage is an incredible 9.1 L/100 km - city (31 mpg) and (get-ready-for-this) an incredible 5.6 L/100 km - highway (50 mpg)! At today's gasoline prices and given today's environmentally-sensitive marketplace, this is no small feature.
- Attention to ergonomics and detail: Beyond the curvaceous lines of the exterior and the technologically advanced aspects of the cockpit, there is also the thoughtful and ergonomic use of space to be thrilled about. Cargo capacity (13.1 cu ft), for instance, is generous for a mid-size vehicle as is passenger volume (97.2 cu ft). Exterior design elements don't just provide for great curb appeal but are integral to the aerodynamic property of the Dart. The front fascia is personality-packed with its split-crosshair grille, projector headlamps, and accentuated fenders while the sexy caboose is likewise enticing with full-width LED racetrack taillamp and class-exclusive integrated dual exhaust (available).
- 2014 IIHS Top Safety Pick: With over 55 standard and available saftey-related features it's no wonder that the Dodge Dart was the IIHS Top Safety Pick for 2014! It has also earned a 5-Star Safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Some of the key safety features include an incredibly stiff overall structure and safety cage, 10 standard air bags, active front head restraints and available options like Blind-Spot Monitoring and Rear Cross-Path Detction. A Park-Sense Rear Park Assist System and Parkview Rear Back-Up Camera is also vailable and Advanced Braking Systems (such as ESC) are standard. There is every reason to feel safe and secure in this vehicle both on the highway and around town.
- Transferable 5-Year/100,000-Kilometre Powertrain Limited Warranty: While this type of warranty is usually part of a separately purchased "extended" warranty package, the Chrysler folks are so confident in this product that they are offering these very generous terms as part of the overall purchase price. Ands speaking of purchase price, do yourself a favor and get on to a dealership website and try out the Build & Price feature. I think you'll be happily surprised by the affordability of the 2014 Dodge Dart. I know my wife was!